Tuesday 25 October 2011

back to Dorset


This time last week I arrived back in Parkstone. One week and things have been easy here. The Cyanotype workshop I delivered last week was successful. The sun shone, the paper I'd treated before I left still work and the participants loved it.

Only today did I actually get around to unpacking and washing all my smoke damaged clothes, the paper, photographs and other products of my activities still retain the evidence of the upside down stove.

I feel so unproductive here. After I had unpacked and piled everything into my office/studio room I used every excuse not to act. Complete inertia. I cooked and ate. I bought chocolate. I made lists, but I did not even look at the work I had made.

I have become obsessed with the objects i left behind. The wardrobe full of paper, the squeezed forms of paper pulp that I drained from their buckets before I left. the frames I made. I feel that these are more important than the failed attempt at the mutascope. they are part of it and I have nothing to remind me of there existence but hazy memories of stew making and cleaning pots.

Tomorrow i am attending the first meeting of the 'Laptop Bashing Club' organised by Andy Walders in an attempt to get on with writing for our MA course. More than writing i feel I need to look at and document the objects i have taken back with me.

I miss my yellow room. I miss my broken tap and my upside down stove. I miss my tea pot. I miss Sandra. I miss just making work.

But now is the time to review and reflect, compile and think about what it all means, how it has evolved, where it will go, when it will be finished, when and how i will present it and to whom. Also I must think about a plan for the show Sandra asked me to curate for next years festival in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment