Tuesday 18 May 2010

Progress?





Well I've been busy. Spending a lot of time with the other artists here, still making 100 sheets of paper a day and people are coming to me with ideas for collaborative work. Yesterday Sandra took my blood to use in the paper. Damaso, who's a photojournalist was here and took some pictures. Actually they are rather good and not for the faint hearted. I haven't decided if I should distribute them publicly.

The Factory here has defiantly got it's unique style and way of working and it has effected my work. The work produced here challenges our morals, what we think of art ourselves and life. I've been open to these ideas and it's seeped into my work. To a point where I'm not sure if the people who know me will recognise me. I feel positive about this development but also concerned as it looks like a big leap.

Since I got here I have been working all day everyday. Spending time with other people here too discussing their work how they approach it and how things work here in Estonia. I've been told 'Estonian believe in nothing' and that's why a group of these artists were asked by Insurance brokers to put on a performance which included naked artists with raw meat on them, branding, and writing Xmas cards in human blood. At first I was shocked but then I thought well it's great that people support artists work on a holiday where it's usually all about shopping and drinking and eating as much as you can.

In the meantime I've chugged along with making 100 sheets of paper a day and when bloodletting was suggested I thought well why not, my blood sweat and tears go into my work why not show it.

No comments:

Post a Comment