Sunday 16 October 2011

Undocumented


When the prints dried I began the long process of cutting, folding and backing them to form the pages of the flip book. It was tedious repetitive work but I had many visitors. At lunchtime Sandra arrived and announced it was time to eat. The table which had been cover in glue, paper, knives, and acetates was now laden with salad, cheese, cakes, halva and tea cups. Jagna and her friend joined us. We ate and then as I began to get back into work the girls started their conversation about health, medicine, doctors and men (in Estonian).

Today most of the residents were getting things ready for winter, fixing pipes and windows, blocking drafts and Tanel made and attempt to figure out what is up with my stove. This caused the whole 1st floor to be engulfed in smoke and impossible for me to work in my room. At 3pm there was a workshop on papier mache. Sandra suggested that it would be good for me. I went and learned that if you hang a bag of salt need wet paper it absorbs the moisture. You can then leave the salt in a warm room and the water will drip out and you can reuse it.

We were supposed to go to the cinema at 6.30pm but we couldn't get tickets so I ended up going to Jagna's and eating again. Back at Polymer, a while later, the pages I'd attached to the spine of the book had dried to the touch so I began to sew the spine. The needles and thread I bought are rubbish and the thread broke a dozen times. When I'd finished I tried to work out how I might animate it and the thread broke again.

I am beginning to hate it so much. It's sat on the table looking at me like the evidence of failure and hopelessness. I thought about calling it IDST, if destroyed still true.

No comments:

Post a Comment